Welcome to the Mass Spectrometry Terms and Definitions Project Page
This goal of this site was to provide information about the IUPAC sponsored project to update the Standard Terms and Definitions for Mass Spectrometry. The wiki was open for comment between 2004 and 2006 and is now being maintained as a reference tool and as an example of using a wiki for development of a glossary of terms.
There are currently 1,782 entries in Mass Spectrometry Terms as of Monday July 16, 2018.
- Browse the
Previous lists of mass spectrometry terms
- IUPAC Gold Book
- IUPAC Orange Book Chapter 12
- Todd, J. F. J., "Recommendations for nomenclature and symbolism for mass spectroscopy (including an appendix of terms used in vacuum technology). (Recommendations 1991)" Pure Appl. Chem. 1991, 63, 1541-1566.
- Price, P., "Standard Definitions of Terms Relating to Mass Spectrometry : A report from the Committee on Measurements and Standards of the American Society for Mass Spectrometry J. Am. Soc. Mass Spectrom. 1991, 2, 336-48.
- Beynon, J. "Recommendations for Symbolism and Nomenclature for Mass Spectroscopy" Pure Appl. Chem. 1978, 50, 65–73.
Working Drafts of the Mass Spectrometry Terms Document
Working drafts were distributed and posters were presented at ASMS meetings in 2004 (with workshop), 2005 (with workshop), and 2006, BMSS meetings in 2004 and 2005, ACS in spring 2005, World Chemical Congress, Beijing, China, August, 2005, and the International Mass Spectrometry Conference, Prague, Czech Republic, August 2006. Public discussion is now closed and the mass spectrometry terms document is undergoing peer review as a submission to Pure and Applied Chemistry.
- IUPAC Task Group MS Terms Third and Final Public Draft
- IUPAC Task Group MS Terms Second Public Draft
- Pre-review draft March 2006 (PDF Version).
- Second Public Draft (ASMS Version)
- Draft of May 2006 - reformatted from March 2006 (PDF Version).
- First Public Draft
- Presented at the 2005 American Society for Mass Spectrometry meeting June 2005..