Welcome to the Mass Spectrometry Terms and Definitions Project Page
This goal of this site was to provide information about the IUPAC sponsored project to update the Standard Terms and Definitions for Mass Spectrometry. The wiki was open for comment between 2004 and 2006 and is now being maintained as a reference tool and as an example of using a wiki for development of a glossary of terms.
There are currently 1,799 entries in Mass Spectrometry Terms as of Wednesday February 20, 2019.
- Browse the
Other mass spectrometry term compilations
- IUPAC Gold Book
- IUPAC Orange Book Chapter 12
- Murray, K. K, "Glossary of terms for separations coupled to mass spectrometry" J. Chrom. A, 2010, 1217, 3922–3928.
- Todd, J. F. J., "Recommendations for nomenclature and symbolism for mass spectroscopy (including an appendix of terms used in vacuum technology). (Recommendations 1991)" Pure Appl. Chem. 1991, 63, 1541-1566.
- Price, P., "Standard Definitions of Terms Relating to Mass Spectrometry : A report from the Committee on Measurements and Standards of the American Society for Mass Spectrometry J. Am. Soc. Mass Spectrom. 1991, 2, 336-48.
- Beynon, J. "Recommendations for Symbolism and Nomenclature for Mass Spectroscopy" Pure Appl. Chem. 1978, 50, 65–73.
- Budzikiewicz, H. "Suggestions for the use of symbols and abbreviations in papers dealing with topics in Organic Mass Spectrometry" Org. Mass. Spectrom. 1969, 1, 249–252.
- Robertson, A. J. B. "Recommendations for nomenclature of mass spectrometry" Pure Appl. Chem. 1974, 37, 469–480.
Drafts of the Mass Spectrometry Terms Document
Working drafts were distributed and posters were presented at ASMS meetings in 2004 (with workshop), 2005 (with workshop), and 2006, BMSS meetings in 2004 and 2005, ACS in spring 2005, World Chemical Congress, Beijing, China, August, 2005, and the International Mass Spectrometry Conference, Prague, Czech Republic, August 2006. Public discussion is now closed and the mass spectrometry terms document is undergoing peer review as a submission to Pure and Applied Chemistry. It has been submitted to PAC eight times between 2006 and 2012 and is currently undergoing review of its seventh revision.
- IUPAC Task Group MS Terms Third and Final Public Draft
- External review submit draft of August 2006.
- IUPAC Task Group MS Terms Second Public Draft
- Pre-review draft March 2006.
- Second Public Draft (ASMS Version)
- Draft of May 2006 - reformatted from March 2006.
- First Public Draft
- Presented at the 2005 American Society for Mass Spectrometry meeting June 2005.
- Submitted to Pure and Applied Chemistry
- April 23, 2006
- PAC Revision 1
- November 8, 2007
- PAC Revision 2
- May 14, 2008
- PAC Revision 3
- October 6, 2008
- PAC Revision 4
- December 10, 2008
- March 20, 2009
- PAC Revision 6
- February 17, 2011
- June 20, 2012